At the end of last year, we planted a hedge between the house and the lane, and it is now growing. We also got the professionals in to advise which plants would do well on our clay/soil and got the experts to plant them. They were also tasked with giving us a lawn but that did not go quite to plan. Firstly, it was decided that the ground was too wet to take a lawn and we would need to wait for it to dry out. But then, it was decreed that the drainage in the lawn was inadequate and improvements must be made.
|Ready to start|
Indeed, all did seem to go well and before the day was out, we had a fully drained patch of dirt!
|Mini-digger at work|
|New drainage going in|
|Lawn and Willow|
Having just re-read the previous blog entry, I realise that I haven't quite finished off the saga of the ebay sale of the left-over slates. You will be pleased to hear that it did eventually have a happy ending. It involved us acquiring a spare 'standard-sized' palette that the Oxfordshire Library Service deemed surplus to requirements (thanks Nikkie!). The neatly packaged slates were then again unpacked from the non-standard palette. The non-standard palette was then fixed to the standard palette and refilled with slates for the fourth time! The collection company turned up and decreed that although the palette was now acceptable, it was probably too heavy! However, the driver seemed a little more pro-active than previous drivers and he had a go. We got the palette on to the palette truck but with the two of us pushing, we could not get the palette truck on to the tail-lift. Eventually, with the lane blocked by the lorry, a van driver wanting to pass came and gave us a hand. The driver was concerned about all the weight on the tail-lift, but it managed to lift the load (very slowly). They were secured and driven away - at last!
|The 4th packing attempt!|